Tuesday 4 October 2011

Ellul -

I'm intrigued with his idea of 'technique' as an ever-increasing efficiency and the separation of technology from technique.  In seeking to understand some of his perspective, I see 'technique' as modernization and industrialization; the social changes that provide the context for the specific technologies.  Based on our previous discussions, I think we might all agree with Ellul's assertion that Technique is an agent of social change.

I really enjoyed watching the video interview.  I found him to be a very thoughtful man and I was impressed that he didn't want to have any 'disciples', he wanted people to think for themselves.  Perhaps this was a way of keeping some of his ideas at a broader and more conceptual level, although I suppose come critics might think that his inability/unwillingness to provide more specific elements of 'what to do', was a weakness in his philosophy.  Personally I think it takes a lot of discipline to let people decide for themselves, and he was living out the elements of what he believed.  

I found myself reflecting a lot on my own actions and emotions in relation to technology.  I have to 'fess - up' to a certain amount of personal happiness/satisfaction at having started to use Twitter.  Why? Well two reasons.  One I am enjoying the little 'chunks' of info that come my way.  I can very rapidly peruse a large variety of information that is of interest to me.  They are like little appetizers that I can either decide to eat or not.  I have actually discovered some interesting things through the people/organizations I am following so far.  I am also becoming more discriminating about WHO I am following so I don't get too over-whelmed with information.  I can definitely relate to his idea that information breeds more information.  It is so easy to just keep clicking and lose track of time!  Second I enjoy feeling like I am 'in the know" with regard to the technology.  Even though I haven't mastered it, I know more than most people my age and there is a strange (and sad) satisfaction in that fact! :-)

I think his ideas about sacrificing some of the qualitative aspects of life "as every area of life is subordinated to technical efficiency" are very true.  We have discussed some of these same ideas in our class.

Overall I feel like this class fits with "Ellul's aim ...to help people understand and preserve a sense of criticism vis-à-vis technical civilization."  I think these readings and our discussions are helping me become more critical about my own use of technology and the larger societal influences that impact my decisions.   
 

1 comment:

  1. In regards to Ellul, I think his aim was not to have us necessarily boycott technology, but rather be discriminate when faced with it. I like you Theresa, feel and think more critically about technology now, even after only 4 weeks of class. The freedom from all of this is having the information and then being able to decide what we want to do.

    ReplyDelete